Whether you are trying for a baby, or are pregnant already (btw, congratulations!), there is so much that needs to be done before your new baby arrives.
If you don’t even know where to start – do’t panic – you have nine months! We have broken down all the things you need to organise before your baby comes.
You have shit to do – let’s get cracking!
Things to do AS SOON AS you find out you are pregnant:
- If you haven’t started already, start on pregnancy vitamins including Folate.
- Start a pregnancy journal to keep a track of how you are feeling and the progress of your baby.
- Check with your GP about any current medications you are taking and whether or not to stop them.
- Do not start eating for two (even when heavily pregnant, the only extra nutrients you need is about a 1/2 sandwich!).
- Plan how you want to announce your pregnancy (and tell people NOT to announce it until YOU have!).
- Start stocking up on household items when they come on sale – like toilet paper, toothpaste etc.
- Start jotting down baby names you like.
- Download a good pregnancy app.
- Eat well and ditch the soft cheeses and seafood.
- Make an appointment with your Gynaecologist to make sure everything is okay (your first scan is usually 8 weeks+), and you can organise your scan and blood tests.
- Grab a large plastic container and start buying one item for baby, every pay week.
- Ditch all underwire bras – your boobs will hurt. Invest in some soft maternity bras (at least 3). These will get a hard work-out so buy good quality and they should hopefully last you through this pregnancy, and hopefully the next one (if you have a next one…).
- Start putting aside some money in a separate account to save for baby and your time off work (if you work!).
Shit you need to do SIX MONTHS before your due date:
- Start buying nappies and wipes in bulk and storing them when they come on sale.
- Book all your hospital and Doctors appointments.
- Book your hospital room (if you are going Private).
- Ensure your health insurance is up to date, and let them know you are pregnant.
- Find out the sex of your baby (if you want to!).
- Start putting together a list of items you want/baby for baby (in case people want to gift you them) – this is handy for when people ask!
- Start planning the theme of your nursery.
- But some large black, soft, comfy undies to wear during pregnancy (and that you can ditch afterwards). Pregnancy discharge is a real thing. You’ll thank me.
- Invest or Borrow in a few good Baby and Pregnancy Books.
- Organise your glucose test with your gynaecologist to test for pregnancy diabetes.
- Borrow or buy some maternity wear – it won’t be long until you are showing!
- If you plan on having a pregnancy or birth photo-shoot, now’s the time to book or shop around.
Shit to get done FOUR MONTHS before your due date:
- Start cleaning out the nursery, making sure it is pristine clean.
- Look for a good set of block-out curtains for the nursery.
- It is also a good idea to put a digital clock in the nursery that states the temperature – makes it easier to know what to dress baby in!
- Put all your large nursery items on layby.
- Start putting together a Spotify list to listen to during labour.
- Any indoor animals should be starting to be transitioned outside or retrained.
- Test drive some baby prams (make sure they will fit in your vehicle).
- Think about a ‘Push Present’ and strategically place a picture on the fridge.
- Start thinking about your birth plan, and how you would like your birth to go. Put pen to paper and keep updating it as you approach the big day.
- Start planning a Babymoon to get away with your partner before the birth.
- Book your hospital tour.
- Start shopping for baby clothes.
- Start planning your baby shower.
- Book your Birth Classes at your local hospital.